Monday, May 27, 2013

Spring is here....Strawberry Meyer Lemon Muffins....yummy!

When I was at the grocery store a few weeks ago...they had some yummy looking strawberries so I grab some.  They also had some beautiful looking Meyer lemons.  So I googled what I could make with these two ingredients.  Guess what I found.....Strawberry Meyer Lemon MUFFINS!!!  I freaking love muffins.  I would live off of muffins if I could....okay muffins and donuts...but still muffins rock. You can find the original recipe here....Strawberry Meyer Lemon Muffins recipe.  But for those who don't want to follow the link and know the changes I made...here you go....

Strawberry Meyer Lemon Muffins
Ingredients....
2.5 cups of AP flour...(I used half wheat flour and half AP just for something different and more healthy)
3.4 cups of granulated white sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
Zest and juice of one Meyer Lemon (I used the zest of two lemons to make them really lemony)
1 large egg, lighty beaten
3/4 cups buttermilk (I just used sour milk cause I did not have any buttermilk. It is 3/4 teaspoon of lemon juice (you could use vinegar also but you are using lemons anyways) to your milk)
2/3 cups of canola oil 
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
2 cups of chopped fresh strawberries (I sliced mine because I thought they looked prettier)

I also sprinkled some raw sugar and sliced almonds on top before baking for some crunchy texture on top of them. 

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Spray your muffins cups with non stick cooking spray.  I just used liners cause I did not want the chance of them sticking.

2. In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, buttermilk, oil, Meyer Lemon juice and vanilla extract.

3. In another large bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and lemon zest.  Gently fold in the berries.  With a rubber spatula fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and stir only until the ingredients are combine.  DO NOT OVER MIX THE BATTER.

4.Fill each muffin cup almost full. I find a cookie scoop or ice cream scoop works awesome for this.  Place in oven until toothpick comes out clean...around 20 minutes. Cool in pan for about five minutes and then cool on wire rack.  Or if you are like me...you try and eat them almost as soon as they are handle-able   There is nothing like warm fresh muffins.  

Of course....I have a picture for you cause I like to take pictures of the pretty food I make. :D  Hope you enjoy this recipe.  I made them with blueberries and they are equally as good.  If you make them with frozen food, you will have to cook them for a little bit longer but use your judgement for when they are done.  All ovens are different.  I know mine runs hot and I have to cook in less time.  So watch your muffins.  You don't want to burn them and be sad. :(  That would be really sucktastic. 

Anyways...enjoy!


Let me know if you make them and how you like them. :D

No comments:

Post a Comment